Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

John Prodman Prova Stance And Bossfight - Animations Included

StallordD

So first off, these animations aren't the best, I know. I knocked them out in about an hour so you have something to look at. I didn't bother to clean up the curves or anything, they're just to help give a rough visual. I also haven't done them all yet, but I wanted to go ahead and post what I have. I'll do most of them eventually.

Also, I'm so happy that John has been confirmed to be a semi-supernatural Crewman who is focused on what's best for the Corpus, regardless of who he needs to help or kill.

So without further ado, here are my ideas for the Prova stance "Whispered Legend" and the Prodman fight you obtain it from.

The Whispered Legend, John Prodman will drop a stance mirroring his fighting style if he is forced to retreat. The stance combines flourishing acrobatics with brutal strikes of electric force.

There are some moves that only John can use, and some that only Tenno can use. I've separated them into proper sections.

Both Tenno and John

Fated Step - Tenno and John
E-E-E-E

M6hgcqY.gif

Three diagonal strikes with the fourth input resulting in 3 lighting fast horizontal slashes to build combo counter.
When used by John: Can be blocked normally, but will not stagger John unless perfect blocks (explained later) are used. Only move that can lead to John being staggered.

Desolate Sunset - Tenno and John
E-E-E-Pause-E-E

DWiZ7Pn.gif

A spinning sidekick that hangs in midair before crashing into opponent. Impact creates a shockwave that stuns opponents.
When used by John: If blocked, the impact will break the defender's guard and drain large amounts of stamina. If unblocked, defender is knocked down.

Epilogue - Tenno and John
E-Hold-E

5AM8E4v.gif

A charged attack that is released with a spinning blow. Large knockback radius and incredibly high damage at point of impact. Can move while holding charge, but movement is halted when the attack is released.
When used by John: If blocked, will drain all stamina as well as shove the Tenno back a good distance (Tenno still maintains footing). If unblocked, EXTREMELY high damage is suffered, and the Tenno will be knocked back a large distance. The shockwave can be blocked normally, and will stagger if unblocked.

The Chosen Path - Tenno and John
E-E-RMB-E

8HdnDJy.gif

A rushing strike that closes the gap between opponents and stuns its target.
When used by John: Can be blocked normally. If unblocked, Defender will be stunned.

The Sky Did Roar - Tenno and John
Midair While aiming down

Gtkpcpz.gif

Throws the prod at the ground creating a stunning shockwave. Each time the Prova is caught, they will wind up for another throw before they fall, giving a brief hover in midair. If a Tenno performs this more than 3 times before touching the ground, they will fail the next catch and fall down on the next throw. A different ground attack that keeps the user in air, thought it would be interesting.
When used by John: Shockwaves can be blocked normally, but direct hits from the prod cannot and will stagger on hit.

Epitaph - Tenno and John
Aiming at downed enemy

JzsmG0Y.gif

A powerful pointed strike directly at the enemy's head. Functions identically for both Tenno and John.

Tenno Only Moves

Fall From Grace - Tenno only
Wall attack
Pushes off from wall opposite of its direction in a 45 degree downwards angle. Arcs electricity and creates stunning shockwave on impact. Independent of camera aim. The point of this move is to have a wall attack that doesn't require aiming, but instead uses setups. The move is useful if backed into a corner.

Usurp the Clouds - Tenno only
Slide attack

Vaults off the ground with a downward thrust of the prod into a flying kick at the enemy. Even in midair, the prod would create a burst of energy at its impact, so the execution wouldn't seem particularly out of place (when compared to other slide attacks in midair at least)

John Only Moves

A Coward's End - John only
If a player moves too far from John, he will teleport and arrive midway through an Epilogue at the fleeing target. A quick roll is required to evade the killing blow.

Punctuate Fear - John only
John throws his prod at an enemy. Will stagger if unblocked, and knockdown if staggered. Can be blocked normally.

This Tale Winds On - John only, when 33% or less health remaining.
John creates a knockback pulse that deals light damage. John's attacks increase 50% in speed and he gains access to a new ability. The pulse can be blocked normally, but will drain all stamina.

Elpis ex Machina - John only, after this tale winds on
John performs a series of brutal attacks that deal high damage. Constant short range teleports force players to both dodge and block in succession to survive the assault. All strikes can be blocked normally, but John will teleport into positions that will avoid the block unless the player dodges or turns quickly.

Curtain Falls - John only
If John is defeated, all players are struck with an extended ice proc and John leaves.

Finishers

Embrace Imperfection - Front - Tenno and John
Thrust Prova into enemy's chest and lifts them overhead, emits a sustained shock before tossing enemy up and striking body down into ground.

Last Breath - Behind - Tenno only
Sweeps the legs with the Prova, then slams enemy into ground with overhead strike.

THE JOHN BOSS FIGHT

"Tenno, nearby enemy radio communications are increasing in activity. Something is coming, but I can't be sure it's...wait...this can't be right. He shouldn't be here! Tenno, you must prepare yourself, this enemy is unlike anything you've ever faced"

"Stalker? What Stalker? I'm your worst nightmare now."

I don't know what should trigger his appearance, but something related to Corpus obviously. Invasions makes sense, but would usurp the Harvester, so I'm not sure if that's the best place.

"Another time, another place, we could have done great things together, Tenno. But now...now you're just another mark..."

When John appears, rather than the normal flickering of lights that most assassins cause, the entire map would darken slightly, and a fog similar to the one from the Halloween alert would envelop the area. Lighting would tinge with the color of Corpus visors. After his opening taunts, which would be broadcast to all players, he would appear behind a random player at the start of an Epilogue attack.

"Tenno, if the reports on John Prodman are to be believed, he cannot be damaged by standard ranged weaponry. The only way he can be engaged is with your melee weapon. Stand fast, Tenno."

John is completely immune to ranged weaponry, and will appear to shimmer slightly if players attempt to fire upon him.

"What's the matter, Tenno? Afraid to stand on an even playing field? Do you always need the help of others to survive? Fight me with some DIGNITY."

John will only engage a single player at a time. If too many players attempt to engage John for a period of time, he will create a burst of energy that pushes all players back, but deals only light damage.

"HA! Is this all you have? A light breeze on Europa stings more than that!"

John is immune to all forms of CC and all status effects (including ones from powers like mind control, blind, or fear). However, John is NOT immune to powers directly. Powers used upon John will function, but will suffer a 50% strength debuff. This debuff increases to 90% damage reduction as he takes power damage, but will tick back down to 50% when he is not. Players not directly engaged with John can use this to put small amounts of damage on John while he duels with his target. John is not fooled by decoys, but going invisible will cause him to change his target.

"Tenno, John is no fool. If you wish to break through his assault, you must channel your energy in time with his strikes. This will throw him off balance and open him to attack."

There are three other ways besides powers for the duel target to damage John. The first is by using "perfect blocks" in time with his attacks. Perfect blocks are executed by channeling at the direct moment of impact, rather than simply holding like for standard enemies. If enough perfect blocks are executed, John will pause his assault, opening him to free damage. If a player has a parry mod equipped, only a single perfect block is required to throw John off balance.

"Where is this Tenno mastery I hear so much about? Are you even trying?"

Regular melee base attacks (E-E-E-E) will affect John, but will suffer from 50% reduced damage. John will block the basic attacks (halting his own assault) after suffering enough damage in a short time, but he will not parry them.

"GAH! Heh, not bad. Not bad at all. You'd make a fine partner for the new trainees back on Neptune!"

The third way to deal damage to John as the duel target is by executing combos. A successful combo will go past John's guard and deal full damage. However, performing the same combo more than once in a row will cause John to block the duel target and perform an execution upon them, dealing high damage.

"You aren't even worth the effort. Let's see what your friends have for me."

John will switch duel target periodically throughout the fight, giving time for players to recoup and recover if they wish. This happens semi randomly, and John will not always provide respite when it is needed. Additionally, John will not target players with no melee weapons unless they are the last players alive. If no players in a mission have melee weapons, John will not spawn.

"I am going to make you regret every. Single. Drop. Of Corpus blood you have ever spilled."

If a player is killed by John, they cannot respawn until John is defeated. If all players are killed before John is defeated, John leaves the battle, granting no loot.

"For every one of my brothers and sister you kill, I will PERSONALLY take two of yours."

"Operator, these energy readings...They're extraordinary! When he vents his energy, I can feel the pulse all the way out here! Strike him when he vents! It's the only way you can hope to de- TEAR HIM A NEW ONE!"

When John falls below 1/3 health, he goes into overdrive. His attacks and movement are increased by 50% in speed. Additionally, he will "vent" his energy which is evident with a large pulse surrounding him. At this time, a perfect block will result in a stagger with extremely reduced duration, allowing for only a couple quick strikes. Attempting to perfect block any other time will have no effect.

"This...This isn't over...This will never. Be. Over..."

When defeated, the visual effects from John dissipate, and the battlefield returns to normal. John will drop a couple rare resources and a random mod. The stance will be given to the player the next time they return to their Liset via mail, to prevent potential loss.

"Don't think you've won, Tenno. You wont ever be safe. Not as long as mothers and fathers, sons and daughters, my people in this war, keep falling to your blade. So take this. Not as a token of respect, but as a reminder. The next time we meet, I wont hold back. I would be disappointed if you did for me."

If a player who has defeated John is present when he attacks again, he will start the battle in overdrive and target players who have defeated him over others. When they are dead, he returns to normal (he will still go into overdrive at <1/3 health like normal.)

And that's the fight. John's been confirmed canon at this point, so its only fair he shows up to bring down some Corpus justice on our butts.

Edited by StallordD

To the stance itself... too choppy. Should really "flow" more.

No, this isn't an "the animation is rough and unpolished", it's "strike from the right repeatedly" is a very weak form. You lose a lot of power and momentum that way.

To the stance itself... too choppy. Should really "flow" more.

No, this isn't an "the animation is rough and unpolished", it's "strike from the right repeatedly" is a very weak form. You lose a lot of power and momentum that way.

Well, he doesn't come from the right more than twice in a row. The upward swing is a strike, not just a wind up. I just didn't animate it with enough punch apparently.

Edited by StallordD

John Prodman is not one who fights for the challenge, or for the glory. He fights for what is right, and for the protection of his people and his solar system.

As so, I do no believe that he should be outed into the spotlight so easily as a boss fight.
He is a legend -- as you said, a whisper -- and should remain so. Known by word, and for the truly blessed, by fleeting glance in their most desperate hour.

John Prodman is love. John Prodman is life.

I'd love another Machete stance for the Prova, though I personally see it more like a bat or club with a lot of heavy, stiff strikes. John Prodman doesn't strike me as an acrobatic fighter, because being flashy isn't his style. He's a manly man, and fights with powerful, meaningful blows that clear the field of trash on the way to real challenges.

That's what I think, anyway.

I like the heroic personality... But I can't help but get the feeling that it's a little TOO heroic. Like, silly, Saturday cartoon levels of heroic, especially with that exit line.

I dunno, never liked Prodman to begin with, I wasn't happy with his canonization, I'm probably just biased.

I will admit, though: those animations are pretty cool. Prodman will need his own custom, more tech-armor looking model to make sense of it, imo, but if he does replace the Zanuka Hunter (like I feel he will one day) that goes without saying.

Edited by Morec0

I like the heroic personality... But I can't help but get the feeling that it's a little TOO heroic. Like, silly, Saturday cartoon levels of heroic, especially with that exit line.

I dunno, never liked Prodman to begin with, I wasn't happy with his canonization, I'm probably just biased.

I will admit, though: those animations are pretty cool. Prodman will need his own custom, more tech-armor looking model to make sense of it, imo, but if he does replace the Zanuka Hunter (like I feel he will one day) that goes without saying.

That's kinda the point. I was purposely taking him to extremes. He's a supernatural Prodman for god's sake, he should be a little ridiculous.

I'd love another Machete stance for the Prova, though I personally see it more like a bat or club with a lot of heavy, stiff strikes. John Prodman doesn't strike me as an acrobatic fighter, because being flashy isn't his style. He's a manly man, and fights with powerful, meaningful blows that clear the field of trash on the way to real challenges.

That's what I think, anyway.

I can see that. Still think it's kinda boring that way. I think a flourishing John would be more absurd, and by extension, fit him a bit better. Not to mention the stance would seem out of place on the Tenno if it was just stiff strikes.

Edited by StallordD

That's kinda the point. I was purposely taking him to extremes. He's a supernatural Prodman for god's sake, he should be a little ridiculous.

I agree, but, like I said, I feel this is just a LITTLE overboard for some reason - but, again, that may just be my bias showing. Then again, if he's supposed to be a "hero of the Corpus people" maybe a less-grandiose, more "I'm just doing my job because it's what the Corpus needs" approach would be better suited?

Personally, though, I lean more towards the "technologically advanced beyond imagination" theory Cephalon Cordylon put forth about his equipment - potentially with the Prova being a new model of weapon all of itself (Deus Prova, maybe?)? - with "John Prodman"s (which I'm STILL hoping will be decided upon to be a nickname used as his true identity is unknown) armor matching it (possibly in line with some of the more militaristic Nef Anyo update concepts created by players, so something like this: https://forums.warframe.com/index.php?/topic/318410-nef-anyo-battlesuit-corpus-shall-rise-wip/ with the current Prodman look mixed into it and the Orokin gold nixed).

Said battlesuit could help explain the unique and more acrobatic stance compared to other Crewman (heck! could even be the start of assassin-specific melee stances! Imagine a Stalker-specific scythe stance and a Grustrag-specific Hammer/Axe stance!).

Edited by Morec0