Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How About We Nerf Corrosive Projection?

inappropriatename5818

Before you guys crucify me, hear me out.   

I really think Corrosive Projection is a major problem in warframe. It completely bypasses most of enemy scalings and makes Viral ridicolously overpowered and way too versatile, and at the same time it makes the game "too easy".   

Not only that, it also makes all other Aura mods non viable in late game, while using it has no real downsides, because 90% of the enemies you encounter in maps where you use 4xCP are flesh or cloned flesh, so using Viral is even stronger than it would already be against "naked" enemies.   

We would see a lot less "game is too easy" and "nerf X" posts if you toned down this broken Aura mod.   

Stuff like Nekros Shadows staying in nulifier bubbles gets fixed, while something that breaks the game and bypasses half of the game's mechanics gets a free pass?   

My proposition: make it stack multiplicatively instead of additively, which would make a lot of sense and make it so that big fat bombard who is wearing that huge armor ACTUALLY HAS ARMOR instead of magically be flesh, when you can clearly see him wearing armor.   

Maybe buff the mod, so it would stack up to 90% reduction and be stronger if you use just 1 to compensate. I think it would still be really strong, just not mindlesly simple and overpowered.   

EDIT: Good points were brought up that I missed in the OP. Armor needs changes too. I won't theorycraft about armor, but I want to ask you guys to instead of posting the obvious "NO" to this huge change, please think about it for a second.   

Shield Disruption reduces shields by 96% and it's a very strong mod if you stack it, while it isn't broken. Corrosive Projection removes armor completely. You can spread salt anywhere and any way you want, the fact is, stacking this mod is not balanced.   

Sure we probably need a huge tuning for the enemies in terms of their stats, but it doesn't change that CPx4 is too strong. I am not some random guy that doesn't own Corrosive Projection, so I want to nerf it for everyone that does, I just thought about it from a logic and balance standpoint and it just sticks out like a sore thumb.   

EDIT2: Some of you guys are missing the whole point. I never mention how strong armor scaling is, if it should be nerfed, I simply pointed out that Corrosive Projection x4 is a broken mechanic. No balanced game should have something 100%   

I didn't make this post to try and stop you guys from shooting torids at vortex for 3 hours, I made this post to point out the obvious. 4x Corrosive Projection bypasses half of the game's content. 2 out of 4 factions are essentially broken if you use it. All the different armor types, physical damage types, all the augments/abilities that modify armor are made completely irrelevant because you can remove half half of the enemy's stats and then Viral becomes so strong and versatile it pretty much severely hinders the other half of the scaling.   

For a second stop thinking about enemy armor scaling, how it is, how it should be, we'll just whine on forums and they will nerf it. Just think about 4x Corrosive Projection for a second. What's the point of Corrosive? What's the point of Puncture? What's the point of having Grineer and Corrupted factions? Why do enemies have different types of armor that is well thought out and implemented via damage 2.0. Why do we have damage types? Just so we can make them irrelevant and just use 1 damage type?   

If this is how we want Warframe to be, then why not just throw away Damage 2.0, make all weapons just do "damage" instead of different type of damage and have all enemies just have effective HP, no bonuses, no penalties, no need for deciding how to mod, no diminishing effects, just blow everything up, then come to forums and complain how the game is too easy.  

Is that what we want?   

EDIT3: People are STILL bringing enemy armor scaling  up as an argument about why it's ok to bypass half of the game mechanics.    

[size=8]READ THIS PLEASE[/size]   

Stop thinking about armor scaling. Look at Corrosive Projection stacking from a purely design standpoint. The game has 4 factions, 1 of them is focussed purely on armor, the other has a vast majority of units that focus on armor.   

There is an aura mod that gives you 14 mod points, doesn't take up space on weapons or warframes that COMPLETELY BYPASSES these 2 factions and what they stand for.   

Armor types, damage types, all that content DE spent designing/creating is completely irrelevant when you put this aura on.    

Forget about how hard armor scales, stop posting graphs, stop arguing about armor scaling. It doesn't justify completely bypassing it.   

I am not saying "Nerf CP today and leave everything as it is" I'm just pointing out that the way this mod works is not healthy for a game that tries to be remotely balanced or interesting. It makes it dull and unappealing when all the mechanics that are put in are irrelevant and there's a be all end all damage type against half of the enemies in the game (one of those being most popular because of void rewards).   

I'm not here to dictate how DE should balance enemies, I'm not trying to stop you guys from camping the vortex for 4 hours, I'm just pointing out the obvious.   

To the people that replied with "NO", I ask you. Do you genuinely think the way 4x CP works in terms of DESIGN / GAME MECHANICS is ok or are you just against it because the enemies would scale too hard like the people that post graphs. I would bet it's because of scaling and you realize that the mod right now is poorly designed.   

PS: Still waiting for a good argument of why the mod isn't poorly designed and/or healthy for the game that isn't about armor scaling and is simply from a design standpoint.

Edited by RektumExplorer

I'd rather see more aura mods to give us more options. Right now it's just Energy Siphon, Corrosive Projection or Rejuvination that are the viable mods for high level, generally.

Edited by R34LM

Here's 1plat, go buy some Flame Repellent. You'll need it.

I know, I'm just pointing it ou. Everyone knows it's OP and they don't want it nerfed for that same reason.    

But if you think about it, ignoring armor completely shouldn't be possible, what is the point of having different factions if Viral works against most of them? At this point we might as well remove armor from the game and have everyone run around in bathing suits while we halve their HP with first shot and then melt them with +75% damage boost.

I only have one true religion, I only have one true god, and his name is Energy Siphon.

Always and ever my lord and savior.

"We would see a lot less "game is too easy" and "nerf X" posts if you toned down this broken Aura mod."

We would get a better game if both the community and DE, would stop nerfing, and instead balance and fix properly the game.

But sadly we say balance, and they ear nerf.

We scream fix, and they ear nerf.

We think trinity, and they nerf her.

Edited by 7grims

I'd rather see more aura mods to give us more options. Right now it's just Energy Siphon, Corrosive Projection or Rejuvination that are the viable mods for high level, generally.

Corrosive Projection is the only viable high level aura, because it's broken. We have many aura mods, but can't use them, because Corrosive Projection stack is just too good to not have.

The way I see it, CP isn't overpowered at all. Grineer armor scaling is just out of whack, and CP is our only way around it.

What we need is a better armor system. Such as letting multiple shots to a body part deteriorate the armor covering that body part, or some other iteration of an armor system that isn't purely stat-based.

The way I see it, CP isn't overpowered at all. Grineer armor scaling is just out of whack, and CP is our only way around it.

What we need is a better armor system. Such as letting multiple shots to a body part deteriorate the armor covering that body part, or some other iteration of an armor system that isn't purely stat-based.

Yes, damage 2.0, Corrosive. Designed to fight armored enemies, which we can just completely bypass by putting a mod on.   

I use 4xCP, because I would be silly not to, but do I think it's balanced? No, it's bad game design and it doesn't belong.

Nope.

How about we just fix armor scaling instead.

How about adressing the core of the problem instead of the little things around it? like the enemy AI/Scaling. No need for corrosive projection if enemies aren't bullet sponges.

How about no?

Now, its a problem because enemy armor scaling is a problem, so fix first the armor, then the cp, then the world.

Also its useles on anyting non-grinier/void, so i think its fine as it is.

This. Armor scaling causes an exponential increase in health.

Also, does anyone else think that Corrosive Production should be a D polarity?

Corrosive Projection is the only viable high level aura, because it's broken. We have many aura mods, but can't use them, because Corrosive Projection stack is just too good to not have.

That might be the meta pick, but I prefer a Rejuvenation, especially with the frame and playstyle I use. I don't like the concept of making the game's balance work on the "meta" or the current flavour. CP helps people be effective for longer in the game, which is a bandaid fix for the fact that enemies scale and players don't. Let people use what they want and just move on. The mod isn't broken unless you actually co-ordinate a team to cheese content. And if we're talking about cheesing content, four Tenno can do much, much worse than 4 CPs.